Great resource for information on the SG

MelvinDale

Re: Great resource for information on the SG

Post by MelvinDale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks for all the great talk about SG's - You've talked me out of buying one. :oops:
Saving money - Not buying a Ric or an SG . . . I should look at a Dumble with all the money I'm saving.
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Post by VIN » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Yeah, I think I'll keep the cash on the hip as well. (he spoke, knowing very well there's barely enough there to buy a used Epi anyway) :lol:

The 60th anniversary might bring some interesting models, I hope they'll do more than just a couple of very expensive Custom Shop guitars.

There's plenty of used and affordable SGs out there and with that wiki, it'll be easy to know the exact measurements and other specifications of each model.
If I ever do ever find myself with few quid flying about the place for a more expensive one, I just might give Jaydee a call. He knows a thing or two about what makes a proper SG and his prices are a steal compared to what Gibsons from the Custom Shop are going for on this side of the Pond.
https://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/

VIN

Post by VIN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am

Lads, what do you think of these two ?
Attachments
Angel Wing.jpg
Bat Wing.jpg

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm

VIN wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am
I'm thinkin' I like the top with the smaller pickguard - just personal mind you.
Course I would probably opt for a P-90 equipped one - just personal mind you.
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 pm

MelvinDale wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm
VIN wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 am
I'm thinkin' I like the top with the smaller pickguard - just personal mind you.
Me, too. Huge fan of P 90s myself but a low wind PAF style would probably be a great choice as well

VIN

Post by VIN » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks lads ! But I have a little confession to make. See, I pulled a sneaky on ya. :lol:

Using Photoshop, I moved the neck, bridge, tailpiece and bridge pickup a little further into the body, putting neck pickup in my personally preferred "Les Paul" position. Just as Gibson did between '71 and '91, but they did so much more that made the SG look a bit odd compared to the classic models.

So on an SG with a more classic look, it's not something you two noticed at first glance.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm

You're a BAD MAN VIN . . . .

VIN

Post by VIN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:34 pm

MelvinDale wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm
You're a BAD MAN VIN . . . .
Yes, I do feel terrible for playing tricks on you good people. :oops: :lol:
But it was a good way to find out how odd a classic SG with these mods would look to somebody who didn't know I've been arseing about in Photoshop.

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 am

VIN wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:45 pm

So on an SG with a more classic look, it's not something you two noticed at first glance.
Well, actually I did notice but with all the modifications that have been made to the SG design over the years I figured it's one where they probably have moved the neck a little further into the body for stability...