Great resource for information on the SG

VIN

Great resource for information on the SG

Post by VIN »

I went on the internet and I found this: SG Wiki | Fandom
Very detailed descriptions about all the different models over the decades.
MelvinDale

Re: Great resource for information on the SG

Post by MelvinDale »

It'll be interesting to learn about SG's - I've never played one, but have become smitten.
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .
VIN

Post by VIN »

The main reason for me not liking the SG is that every single one I ever tried had the headstock diving like a coot when playing with a strap. I it adds up to only a dozen guitars, but still.
Some had the strap button moved from the heel to the rear of the upper horn or even to the horn itself, Tony Iommi style. The neck still did the coot thing, but it helped with another SG problem: the guitar tipping over. I never experienced that myself, but I've even seen people tuck the upper horn behind the strap to prevent that.

I've read all sort of suggestions to deal with the neck heavy SG: tie a bag of lead to the part of the strap that connects to the butt of the guitar, put lead in the control cavity. Some even suggested having a custom harness made as if you're in a marching band, or attaching one end of a bit of rope to the stap and the other on a carabiner that hooks to your belt loop to keep the guitar in place.
Then a while ago, somebody told me that the diving isn't about the strap button on the heel, but the other one. Move that one further up away from the control cavity and the whole guitar will be in balance, but you won't have a nice and symmetrical looking guitar. Brilliant ! That's the biggest problem I personally have with this model fixed.

So I may give this model another look then. That wiki has been a big help for me to learn about all sorts of things. With the 60th anniversary of this model coming up in 8½ months, who knows what exciting models Gibson and Epi are planning to release.
slidingtom

Post by slidingtom »

I think SGs are great looking and sonding guitars. What I don't like about them is the ergonomics with the neck sticking out so far to the left (as a right hander of course) so that you have to really reach for access to the lower end of the fretboard...
VIN

Post by VIN »

You raise an interesting point there. The curve for the knee and both strap buttons are further away from the neck than on a Les Paul, moving every note you want to fret away from your body. Both standing and sitting.

Another thing that used to bug me a little is the placement of the neck pickup. A Les Paul, Tele, Strat, with all the traditional measurements all have them right under where the 24th fret would be. It's a sound I love, though I've had plenty of guitar with them closer to the bridge than that: Gibson Marauder (my first proper guitar) and several 24 fret models.

I did know about the "The SG" having the neck, bridge, tailpiece and bridge pickup moved further away from the neck pickup, thereby putting both pickups exactly where they are on a Les Paul.
Thanks to that wiki, I learnt that practically every SG with two full size humbuckers made between '71 and '91 had those features. That's a third of this model's existence, so perhaps those features are something to consider for one of the anniversary models next year ?

Then there's the little issue of the bevels. I love the look of nice and deep carved bevels, but those appear to be very rare on affordable models, including other brands than Gibson. Oh well, that's just looks.
slidingtom

Post by slidingtom »

Regarding the pickup placement right where the 24th fret (second octave) would be: if there's a certain sound to be had it'll be gone as soon as you fret a string - the "node" moves away from the pickup - so there's that...
VIN

Post by VIN »

Aye, but don't all nodes move when a string is fretted, placing a different one above a neck pickup in the traditional position ?
Regardless of that theory, the neck pickup just sounds different in practice when moved away from the traditional position. Not a bad sound, but to me personally, just not as sweet.

Say, do you still have that old SG Special ?
slidingtom

Post by slidingtom »

Sure - the nodes move when strings are fretted but you'll get all different nodes over the pickup which is the case as well no matter where the pickup is being placed, so...
Regarding the sound that different placements yield: that's all to anybody's taste. My LP Special has the neck pickup moved closer to the bridge (for stability reasons as you know) which surely gives it a brighter sound which I don't mind.
Re: my '63 SG Special: I don't have it anymore. sold it a year and a half ago through a reputable dealer who got a good price for it (more than I had hoped for). He also took care of getting all the CITES shit sorted and his cut on the sale was more than fair. Part of the proceeds went into the purchase of my Eastman archtop.
VIN

Post by VIN »

A good deal, an archtop is much more up your current ally than an SG.
Sounds like a guitar worthy of a thread of its own !
slidingtom

Post by slidingtom »

VIN wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:03 pm A good deal, an archtop is much more up your current ally than an SG.
Sounds like a guitar worthy of a thread of its own !
I'm sure I did a NGD thread but that's lost now since the forum crashed and had to be set up again from the ground up....

I had used the SG for playing slide in open E tuning with the band and it was great for that but the way things go my taste for sound/tone changed once more towards a more old school tone and when Gibson released its ES 135 model in 1992 I got one of those. Didn't like the P 100 pickups that much and replaced them with a set of P 90s and it has been my No.1 slide guitar since then (although I also used an Epi WildKat for variety from time to time).