Othe Les Pauls -Not

MelvinDale
Othe Les Pauls -Not

Post by MelvinDale » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm

The one that got away.
Almost snagged a Ric, but the local seller punked out and sold to someone else for a mere 100.00 more than he offered to sell it to me for.
Kids today - sheesh.
Still pining for one , but just opt for a new 12 string - a guitar that probably won't get used a lot, but I have GAS bad. 8-)
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Re: Othe Les Pauls -Not

Post by VIN » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:49 pm

I see, bit of a snag with the Other Guitars section.

What type of RIC was it ? I always loved the look and sound of many of their models, but those narrow necks just weren't meant for me.

Ooh, a 12 string, tell us more !

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:09 pm

:cry: Hmmm - I wrote a nice (long) post about how I can no longer log on at work which limits my posting.
Also talked about the two rics - I'll get back to and rewrite the post when I can . . . . ERG
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Post by VIN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm

Ah, bugger... I'm notorious for typing lot and then clicking on preview instead of submit.
Your posting has become out of control, no wonder they had to block this site at your work.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 pm

OK – Let’s see if I can make a post and not sabotage it.
The Ric I was trying to buy locally was a 620 – Mapleglow.
The seller wanted 1,150.00 (no trades) would consider driving to meet. I reached out to him and let him know I was local and could come to him and would he consider taking less.
He said yes – he’d be willing to sell it for 1,050.00
I agreed to the price, but did want to see it and play it first, but agreed to meet three days later.
Got funds together and was ready to go the next morning when he emailed me to say he had someone that offered full price and he was going to sell it to them.
Never bothered to ask if I was willing to match, just selling it to someone else for the 100. Difference.
In a subsequent email I told him since he said he bought/sold/traded lots of guitars that he should consider others (DUH) when he was dealing – he agreed that he had not been fair, but . . .
Any way – I emailed Sweetwater and could buy a new one for 1,500.00 – a fair price, but I really would want to try one before I buy one.
Also asked about a beautiful 381 – 12string – sells for over 5,000,00 but I could buy for 4,000.00
Truth be told I used to own a 330 and while I liked it – I didn’t like it enough not to trade it.
For now I will continue to soldier on with what I have.

Oddly enough, I had a Brian Moore on consignment for two years and ended up getting it back before we moved . . . it’s become my perfect Church gig guitar – coil tapped humbuckers so I can get a lot of different tonality from it – it works, but all my Teles are jealous.

VIN

Post by VIN » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:49 am

Ah, bugger. Shitty move by that seller... A 620 is a beautiful guitar. As is a 381 with that carve

I don't remember what model, but a RIC 12 string at a local shop nearly drove me insane. Such a beautiful instrument at a bargain price, almost irresistible. What kept me from buying it was that compared to my other 12 string electrics, it was almost as if there were twelve separate strings running across the narrow fretboard instead of six pairs. My technique probably just wasn't refined enough to fret the strings that needed fretting while not bothering any of the other strings.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 am

VIN wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:49 am
Ah, bugger. Shitty move by that seller...
Yeah - we had traded about 10 emails to get to that point - I even critiqued his band (he's the drummer - should have known). :roll:
He appreciated and agreed with what I told him.
After it was all said and done he said if I wanted to talk about music to call him and sent his number.
Like that's gonna happen - HA! :lol:

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 am

VIN wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:49 am
compared to my other 12 string electrics, it was almost as if there were twelve separate strings running across the narrow fretboard instead of six pairs. My technique probably just wasn't refined enough to fret the strings that needed fretting while not bothering any of the other strings.
My other 12 strings - Do tell :lol:
I do know what you mean about Ric necks and I am not exactly fleet of finger - rather ham-fisted I'm afraid.
12 strings are probably not in my near future . . . . though I did see a neat Dean at a pawn shop - cheap, well reasonable anyway. :?

VIN

Post by VIN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 am

My first 12 string was an acoustic from Clarissa. Sort of a cheap alternative to an Eko. (which was already a cheap alternative) Red to dark orange burst with an aluminium saddle that could be adjusted in height. The neck was bolted on and it possibly had a huge pickguard as well ? Or am I thinking too much about the Eko now.
I sold it, because school was more importanter. :P

The two 12 strings I bought since, I still have, but I rarely play them. The memories attached to them are worth more to me than the little bit of money that they'd fetch on today's market.
One is a Danelectro 12/6 doubleneck that was converted to a 12/4 by a luthier, it's a fun instrument that always turned heads. The other is an Ibanez from the RT Series. The RT guitars were meant to be "retro" take on the Superstrat. Still pointy with 24 frets, but without the high output pickups and locking tremolos.

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:04 am

So we're on 12 strings? I do have a 1971 Höfner acoustic (inexpensive laminate body) that was given to me by our drummer back then who salvaged it from the trash. I keep it in open D to play a bit of Blind Willie McTell slide from time to time.