It's Five O'Clock Somewhere . .

General Discussion, please do not discuss politics or religion
VIN

Re: It's Five O'Clock Somewhere . .

Post by VIN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am
Oh and see Gretta Van Fleet from Frankenmuth MI won - don't particularly like them (Led Zep), but nice to local boys get a Grammy.
I was blown away when I first heard them on the radio. I thought it was a Zeppelin or Page & Plant song I didn't know about ! After listening to them a bit more, the novelty of that trick did seem to wear off rather quickly.
Still, good that there are kids who are rocking about. It seems hardly anybody under the age of 30 plays guitar any more over here. With the exception of some acoustic hipsters then.

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

VIN wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am
MelvinDale wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am
Oh and see Gretta Van Fleet from Frankenmuth MI won - don't particularly like them (Led Zep), but nice to local boys get a Grammy.
Still, good that there are kids who are rocking about.
Whatever you think of them: it's good to see some kids waving the flag of old school classic rock and thus getting other kids interested in learning to play one themselves. It's all about having an idol/role model you know and the old rockers can't be that for kids....

VIN

Post by VIN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Tom, did you notice a decline in the number of students where you teach ?

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 am

VIN wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 pm
Tom, did you notice a decline in the number of students where you teach ?
Actually not. I reckon you're referring specifically to teenagers? Problem with them is in the way they listen to music - or better: not listen. You'll hardly encounter a young lad who is into some specific band/artist where they'd say: "I want to learn to play this!".
Since I'm always asking and enquiring it seems that most young folks "listen" to playlists compiled and suggested by whatever streaming portal they use.
They seem to be quite indifferent to what they are being offered - if they don't like it the next track is just a click away. The ubiquitous availability of music nowadays leads folks to just use music as an acoustic tapestry. My generation used to listen to music through real loudspeakers (air being moved, that is :lol: ) aand we often listened together with friends and discussed the music we listened to. That's what most kids are missing these days with their puny earplugs: they just don't experience how music can really sound....
It sometimes takes two or three years of taking lessons before they get really interested in guitar and music. Before that it seems to be just one other spare time activity. They come to learn to play guitar without any specific goal or having any actual idea what they want to acchieve in terms of playing guitar.
This is a real toughie most of the time also because with a lot of them you don't get any feedback about what you're trying to teach them

(rant over) :lol:

VIN

Post by VIN » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm

I was thinking more in the range of 6 to 12, but those are some interesting points you make about teens.

One great bloke in my town who was teaching the 6 to 12 year old kids had a waiting list that was so long, he had to tell parents to stop waiting and look for a teacher elsewhere. He was a great one, very calm and friendly and very patient. Great with kids who had ADD or ADHD or something like that. Many kids left a different teacher just so they could join him instead.
Within a matter of years, he went from there to not even having enough kids wanting to play guitar to keep his business afloat.

It's a damn shame parents don't encourage and stimulate their children to play an instrument any more. Or do anything at all that doesn't involve a "smart" phone or a game console for that matter.

Blimey, aren't we a bunch of grumpy old men ? :lol:

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

VIN wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Blimey, aren't we a bunch of grumpy old men ? :lol:
Yes, yes we are.
If the parents play, the kids are more apt to want to and they come equipped with a play list - Mom & Dads music.
I frequent a music store (an anomaly - local owned) which has a couple of great teachers and they seem to be very busy. The selection of songs I hear is pretty funny - a lot 60's, 70's and some new country - but yeah, when there are more dancers on stage than musicians . . it ain't cuttin' it.

I'm seriously thinking about taking lessons when I move - was going to it at the shop I sited, but honestly, I'm too embarrassed.
I really suck! . . . and I'm not kidding. I have no discipline and need to be forced, pushed or at least scolded to learn something new. :oops:
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm

VIN wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm
I was thinking more in the range of 6 to 12, but those are some interesting points you make about teens.

Oh that age range...
Seriously : no. I always got kids from 6/7 years old up. I do have a few right now and actually will have a sample lesson with a seven-year old tomorrow.
Some of thsese kids can be fun while others can be a real pita. :x

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am

Morning/afternoon all , ,
A beautiful day in the neighborhood. A day without snow!! This really has been a miserable winter.
Today however cold, but I won't have to shovel. Actually I've been fairly fortunate - snows overnight and wiffles has the drive clean by the time I get home, love her!
Hope you all had a great day.

How may students are you teaching Tom?
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

MelvinDale wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am
Morning/afternoon all , ,
A beautiful day in the neighborhood. A day without snow!! This really has been a miserable winter.
Today however cold, but I won't have to shovel. Actually I've been fairly fortunate - snows overnight and wiffles has the drive clean by the time I get home, love her!
Hope you all had a great day.

Lovely balmy and sunny pre-spring day here today, temps in the lower 60s :)

I have around a dozen right now, about half private and half at the music school, Melvin.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm

slidingtom wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm
Lovely balmy and sunny pre-spring day here today, temps in the lower 60s :)

I have around a dozen right now, about half private and half at the music school, Melvin.
[/quote]

Almost nice in Michigan - started at 35 headed to 20, but no snow - Oh, Happy Day!

About a dozen students is great to hear Tom - so guitar is still alive and well. At least your area.
Any real promising students? I like listening to some of Phil's students (and daughter).