Pickup positions compared on a level playing field

Discuss everything else guitar related
slidingtom

Re: Pickup positions compared on a level playing field

Post by slidingtom » Thu May 21, 2020 6:00 pm

VIN wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:21 pm

I'm not going to say I told you so, but I will say this: I told you so. ;)
What was it you told me again ? :?:

VIN

Post by VIN » Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm

That I really, really like the sound of a neck pickup that's in the proper place: below the second octave. Disregarding the whole theory of nodes, it just sounds sweeter to me personally right there than in a position that is closer to the bridge.

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 am

VIN wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm
That I really, really like the sound of a neck pickup that's in the proper place: below the second octave. Disregarding the whole theory of nodes, it just sounds sweeter to me personally right there than in a position that is closer to the bridge.
Oh - I certainly do agree! :)

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 pm

I got nothin' to add to this - Youze guys talkin' over my head.
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Post by VIN » Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Come on, Melv ! Just watch the video and take notes of the positions you like. 8-)

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 pm

VIN wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm
Come on, Melv ! Just watch the video and take notes of the positions you like. 8-)
OK,OK . . . not that I have any insight as to how any of this sounds in a band situation, my brief take was rather weird.
Chords - I gravitated to even numbers 2, 4 , 8 and 14 - Four being my fave.
Riff - all odd numbers - nothing until 5, 9, 11
Single notes - I found them all fairly shrill till about 8 or so and once again gravitated to the even numbers.

I found this constant hum in all of them through my headphones - Oh, that right Tinnitus. :cry:
Boy after watching that, I couldn't help think - 'there's someone with too much time on his hands' :shock:

I have sounds that I like and leave it to a tech to help me achieve it.
I put P-90 in the neck of a MIJ Tele and I love it - took the pickups that were in it (Van Zandt) and had those put in a different MIJ Tele and quite frankly I couldn't tell much in the way of a difference than what was previously in it.
The worst part about that is I still sound like me - Boy is that frustrating!! :roll:
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Post by VIN » Sat May 30, 2020 11:45 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 pm
The worst part about that is I still sound like me - Boy is that frustrating!! :roll:
I hate when that happens. :lol:

Thanks for sharing your notes ! Some interesting results there, as not all of those are typical positions of the '50s and '60s designs. It just goes to show how little these things can matter, especially without the rest of band around.

MelvinDale wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 pm
Boy after watching that, I couldn't help think - 'there's someone with too much time on his hands' :shock:
That's Johan Segeborn for you ! :mrgreen:
Answering the questions you didn't even know you had.

Johan Segeborn by Vin, on Flickr

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 pm

VIN wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:45 am

That's Johan Segeborn for you ! :mrgreen:
Answering the questions you didn't even know you had.

Johan Segeborn by Vin, on Flickr
Excellent! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to pickup positions: I actually like the neck pickup position on a Special DC for example which is bit further towards the bridge and seems to slightly cut better through a band's mayhem.... :mrgreen:

VIN

Post by VIN » Sun May 31, 2020 8:58 am

Most of my gigging, I did with guitars that have the neck pickup in the "SG" position: a Gibson Marauder or various 24 fret guitars. It's a good sound, no doubt about that.
However, after playing one of those for a while and then switching to a guitar with the neck pickup below the second octave, I immediately think "ah yeah, but that's THE sound !"

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sun May 31, 2020 12:11 pm

I tend to vacillate . . . coming from years of playing Bass as soon as I switched to guitar I wanted nothing but treble.
I learned to pull it back after hearing a live recording. That and years of hearing issues.

I've learned that what works best is just finding a sonic spot that compliments the other players rather than find my sound.
I do really like the neck P-90 with a bit of treble rolled off or blended with a single coil for rhythm or lead.
I'm so conflicted . . . :oops: