It's Five O'Clock Somewhere . .

General Discussion, please do not discuss politics or religion
MelvinDale

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere . .

Post by MelvinDale » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Just to see if we can keep in touch, thought I'd try to create a dialog page.
Short posts perhaps, unless something epic happens (you never know) :lol:

Weekend update - went to see a Steely Dan tribute band last night called 'Major Dudes' - a couple of them are old (no, really) friends.
They have a new Sax player that blew (sorry) my wife and I away. We clapped after a couple of his solos - they were that good.

They do play some other stuff as well, but really nail the Dan stuff. Good time.

Tonight, it's my turn. The band plays at 9 tonight - I really like playing Friday's more than Saturday. I get a second wind and can play all night. Saturday is a lazy day and hard to get pumped up for the gig - Fortunately, once guitar in hand . . . It's on. :D
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Re: It's Five O'Clock Somewhere . .

Post by VIN » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Sounds like a great time with the Major Dudes ! I like that name. ;)

I'll be off for the footy in a bit. sc Heerenveen - PEC Zwolle. I'm a Heerenveen supporter, but I'm not expecting much. Our defence is terrible, even if a defender did score during the previous match.
It was an own goal, though, and the only shot at any goal that the team managed to produce for the entire match.

Have fun playing tonight ! What's the venue and what's on the setlist ?

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm

They say Defense is the best Offence, so you've got that going for you VIN. Well that's what they say with our football.

We're playing a bar/restaurant called Bricks - it's a usual spot for us -once a month, sometimes more.
Set list - HA!
When we play bars we leave it to Shawn (band leader) to read the room and react. We never know and it seems if I decide to practice a particular song - it's guaranteed we won't play it. But anything between Johnny Cash and Elvis to Mumford & Sons and Lumineers.
Last gig we di the theme song from a TV show 'Petticoat Junction'
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Hope you'll have a good and successful gig, Melvin!
My wife is back south where she is originally from (Saarland) to sort out some stuff with her kin (her uncle is not well) so I have the weekend for myself which means I can practice guitar uninhibited. Working on a chord/melody arrangement of Monk's "Round Midnight" and some other stuff right now.

VIN

Post by VIN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your wife's uncle, Tom. I wish her my best.

I looked up the Petticoat Junction theme, that sounds like a fun little ditty. Your drummer must have had a blast, pretending to be a steam locomotive. :lol: Did he include the whistle ?

The match was rather dull and ended in 1-1, with Zwolle scoring the equaliser seconds before the halftime break. Oh well, we din't lose ?

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

:D the gig was a real winner - people danced!! :D
That is certainly not always the case.
So you know VIN we started with 'Willin'' by Little Feet ( some killer harmonies) ended with two we haven't done in a while . . . a mash-up that Zack Brown does with his band 'Free' and Van's 'Into the Mystic'

We got several requests for biz cards, always makes it worth playing in hopes of a more lucrative gig.

No train whistles in Petticoat Junction' - we didn't exactly plan ahead for that :lol: He did have the correct brush beat though . . .

So Tom - what time did you go to bed last night? I'm guessing 'Round Midnight' 8-)

VIN

Post by VIN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:59 pm

That sounds like a great time for all ! :D
Man, I miss gigging.
MelvinDale wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm
So Tom - what time did you go to bed last night? I'm guessing 'Round Midnight' 8-)
:lol:

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

:lol:

Glad you had a great gig, Melvin and hopefully some more will come rollin' around in the wake of it. :D

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am

Morning all . . . afternoon for you however.
It's Monday morning at 5 O'clock - the dog decided it was time to wake me up (at 4) to go out.
Fresh coating of snow, but not horribly cold like last week - the Polar Vortex was just plain nuts.

Missed the Grammy's yesterday - mostly because I really don't know any of them anymore.
The exception being Kacee Musgraves.
Heard her first on NPR and went out and bought the CD - great writer.

Oh and see Gretta Van Fleet from Frankenmuth MI won - don't particularly like them (Led Zep), but nice to local boys get a Grammy.
Seeyabye

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

slidingtom wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 am

Glad you had a great gig, Melvin and hopefully some more will come rollin' around in the wake of it. :D
Yeah thanks Tom, only downside is I'll be long gone from the band if we (they) do.
Still, a great bunch of guys who if we ever practiced could really be somethin'.