Unbelievable but true story

Random Ramblings
Strato

Unbelievable but true story

Post by Strato » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am

Recently I was visiting an old bandmate that now lives in Vancouver Canada. He had a ginger coloured cat which reminded me of an unforgetable experience I had when I first arrive in London as a wide eyed gullible 19 year old musician, full of myself but really completely inexperienced with what London band life was about to offer.

I'll settle back with a few Scotches and try to remember...................

slidingtom

Re: Unbelievable but true story

Post by slidingtom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 am

Waiting with bated breath....

VIN

Post by VIN » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Ooh, this will be good ! :D

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 pm

the ginger colored cat wasn't a guitar was it . . . just askin'
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

Strato

Post by Strato » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:50 pm
the ginger colored cat wasn't a guitar was it . . . just askin'
LOl Mel clearly you remember the Candy story. Nup this was actually a real cat. But let me begin. (I may do a prelude later to explain what life was like before many of us ex pats returned to the UK London music scene).But lets get started;

It was 1969 and young Strato had dropped out of University much to the disapproval of his parents preferring to pursue a career as a musician. Having already had some moderate local success which provided the necessary funds for the sea voyage Strato had boarded the ship to make the 6 week journey back home to the UK to hopefully find work as a musician. The plan being to hook up with any UK group that would have him. (I should mention this was an era when plane travel was only for the wealthy and people even wore suits and ties to travel by air. (Not very Strato style).

Ship was the only economical way to return to the UK plus you could earn your keep by entertaining on board. It was also the only practical way to bring your gear. Strato had 2 Fender Strats a Maton guitar, a 100 watt Marshall head, two quad boxes, suitcase, a tea chest and a homemade fuzz box installed on the inside of an old alarm bell. Primitive but those were the days and available equipment. It was how it was done. But a lot of fun was had during that 6 week voyage.

Chapter 1. A New Beginning.

The ships foghorn sounded loudly signalling that the ship was about to arrive at Southampton dock. Strato stumbled from his bunk blurry eyed from the night before. He vaguely remembered making his way to his cabin as the captain announced that by morning the ship would make port.

Strato bounded up the steel steps two at a time his head and heart thumping (wishing that he hadn’t had those extra-large Scotch Whisky chasers the night before). He didn’t want to miss anything after all he was just 19yrs old full of expectations but also unbeknown to himself at that time very naïve and stupid.

Reaching the deck in record time Strato peered over the ships railing, the ever-progressing rust leaving brown stains on Strato’s clean T shirt (kept especially clean and pressed just for this occasion). Damn exclaimed Strato that’s my best shirt and I don’t have time to wash another. (Washing clothes was low priority at that time in the Strato world).

The ship bumped gently against the dock as drab clothed men scurried to make good the mooring ropes. (Not a brightly coloured safety vests or any OH&S supervisors to be seen, it was a different era for sure).
It would still be some time before Strato’s feet actually touched the wooden dock, but he could sense the excitement in the air and feel the vibrations of his homeland coming through the hull of the ship. The almost electric atmosphere creating goose bumps while the hairs on Strato’s arms quivered unexpectantly. It was an exciting moment that Strato still remembers to this day.

Strato cast his eyes around, straining to see through the still early morning mist which hung like a faded dusty curtain over the surrounding buildings. It was a grey morning with a light drizzle of rain trying it’s best to dampen the Strato enthusiasm. But Strato didn’t care this was the beginning of a new adventure and something he had been looking forward to for 6 long weeks and in fact his whole musical life.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Strato - If you don't write your memoir, the world will miss a great story teller, which by the way I'm waiting for the next chapter . . .
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

Happy Grumpz
Site Admin

Post by Happy Grumpz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 pm
Strato - If you don't write your memoir, the world will miss a great story teller, which by the way I'm waiting for the next chapter . . .
Seconded!

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 pm

My guess is he fell into the Scotch bottle and is still struggling to get out of it.... :lol: