Don't hate me, because I'm beautiful . . .

General Discussion, please do not discuss politics or religion
MelvinDale

Don't hate me, because I'm beautiful . . .

Post by MelvinDale » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm

OK, maybe not, but just wanted to say I watched an entire soccer game and enjoyed it. Final Women's USA vs, VIN
Not because we won, though that was cool, but I finally learned some things about the game.
I could become a fan. Next In-Line Hockey! :D
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

VIN

Re: Don't hate me, because I'm beautiful . . .

Post by VIN » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 am

Congratulations, Melv ! The better team won. It's the fourth Cup for the USA already, which is even more impressive when you realise this is only the eighth time there even was a Women's World Cup.

Still, I'm proud of the Orange Lionesses and what they have achieved in such a short time. Only ten years ago, they managed to qualify for a tournament for the first time and look where they are now. Reigning European Champions, runners up for the World Title and many of the women you saw on the pitch yesterday are playing key roles and winning prizes for some of the biggest clubs in Europe.
The national team has gained a lot of fans and have inspired a lot of young girls to start playing. Who knows what talents may rise to play at the next world cup.

MelvinDale

Post by MelvinDale » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:20 pm

VIN wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 am
Congratulations, Melv ! The better team won. It's the fourth Cup for the USA already, which is even more impressive when you realise this is only the eighth time there even was a Women's World Cup.

Still, I'm proud of the Orange Lionesses and what they have achieved in such a short time.
The national team has gained a lot of fans and have inspired a lot of young girls to start playing. Who knows what talents may rise to play at the next world cup.
It was a great game - people on this side of the pond got nervous since Team USA scored in the first 15 minutes of every match - playing nil/nil for a half was upsetting to some. :o
The US team has inspired many young girls over here as well and the future for the sport.

Now the biggest question is pay - they get less than half what the men's team would receive. The argument has always been how many people attend/watch the match - yesterday's game, regardless of the airing of other games at the same time, generated a nation wide audience. ;)

There will be a parade for the team Wednesday in New York and then a trip to Congress and a Presidential snub.
A good time will be had by all - :lol:
I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed, I repeat myself when I'm destressed . . .

slidingtom

Post by slidingtom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 am

MelvinDale wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:20 pm
a trip to Congress and a Presidential snub.
A good time will be had by all - :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats to your team, Melvin! Women's football takes a backseat here in Germany due to male chauvinism I'm afraid....